Terms of Reference, Oct. 10 2023
Powertrust is unlocking a new sector of clean energy procurement for corporate climate leaders by aggregating small, distributed renewable energy projects around the world. We believe that small projects – aggregated to meaningful scale – can transform the world’s energy future by delivering social and climate impacts where it matters most. Small DRE projects are faster to deploy, more agile, more resilient, and maximize the impact of every dollar spent by powering schools, hospitals, factories, farms, and households across the Global South. Global corporations have the power to accelerate decarbonization via the DRE sector, just as they have in more established markets, but barriers and boundaries are stopping them from investing in DRE projects that support climate justice and can deliver up to 7x the carbon impact. Powertrust removes these barriers by aggregating small DRE projects in an accountable, transparent way that matches how companies have sourced utility-scale renewables for decades. We offer a unique, innovative model for corporate climate leaders to decarbonize their global energy footprint while maximizing the impact of their investments.
We are actively sourcing small-scale, distributed solar projects across the globe and are looking for a consultant to help us build our network of project developers in Southeast Asia. The consultant will help us identify and onboard qualified projects to meet our growing customer demand for Distributed Renewable Energy Credits (D-RECs).
The Consultant will be tasked with identifying and qualifying a pipeline of candidate solar developers and corresponding projects in target markets that meet our purchase criteria. This will involve conducting outreach, contacting developers, and screening candidates. Once identified, the Consultant will assist in building a relationship with the developer by introducing them to Powertrust’s supply team and assisting with project screening, contracting, and execution.
The Consultant is expected to deliver:
1. A portfolio of projects that meet Powertrust’s prescribed criteria and are capable of meeting or exceeding target annual certificate volumes;
2. Initial outreach to the relevant project developers on Powertrust’s behalf, followed by onboarding onto the Powertrust platform;
3. Identification of and outreach to appropriate channel partners as needed;
4. Creation of relevant materials and collateral as needed (e.g. decks, RFPs, social media content).
To be successful in this role, candidates should (at a minimum):
● Have 5+ years of experience in the distributed solar industry in Southeast Asia developing, financing, and/or operating projects, or engaging with entities which conduct the aforementioned activities
● Have a strong network with connections to DRE project developers, financiers, and trade associations in the region
● Show demonstrated knowledge of the regulatory environment governing DRE solar projects, specifically rules pertaining to the ownership and sale of renewable energy certificates or environmental attributes more broadly
● Excellent cross-cultural communication skills, humility, and the ability to work effectively with people representing a range of backgrounds and perspectives
● Strong project management skills and comfort working independently with a remote team spread across Asia, Africa, Europe, and North & South America
● Prior experience originating and sourcing EACs, including carbon credits and offsets, but especially RECs
● Experience building a pipeline and managing dealflow (e.g. in sales or as an investor)
● Experience monitoring, evaluating, and reporting on social and climate impact indicators
● An eye for social media, photography, storytelling, and content creation
A successful candidate may be located anywhere in Southeast Asia that allows for seamless online, remote collaboration for the duration of this contract. Occasional travel may be required. Strong networks and the ability to work in Vietnam or Indonesia will be an asset.
This opening is for an independent contractor for a limited engagement that ends in December 2023. There may be opportunities for extension depending on need and performance. Gross compensation will be fixed between $3,000 and $5,000 USD per month, depending on the candidate’s qualifications and availability.
Send your CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please make sure the subject of your email references the job title.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Unfortunately, we cannot respond to all applicants due to the high volume of applications we receive. You will only be contacted if your application is successful.